Wednesday, January 11, 2006

 
1/11

Pretty slow going in the Funk-i-verse today. Up late last night writing for permissions, then up with Aleatory Zoon Heep Funkhouser (age 4.5 months) before dawn…

Happy to find about 20 approvals had arrived in between, some of which led to further correspondence. For instance, Eric Vos rightly chided me for some polemical statements I’d made regarding an essay he published a decade ago (which actually led me to remove my naïve essay from the WWW), and Brian Stefans pointed me in the direction of some of his early computer poems & reminded me that one of the essays in his book was modeled after a piece of writing by T.S. Eliot, which I’d forgotten to note, &c. For the most part, the critics were surprised that I’d even bothered to ask for permissions, & perhaps doing so was not necessary but I figured better to cover all bases (I asked anyone who I’d quoted more than 100 words from; I’m new to academic publishing for the most part, so wanted to play this aspect of the work as safely as I could). Taking on this process was also a good excuse to get into contact with a lot of amazing people & begin to spread the word about the book beyond a fairly small inner circle of close colleagues.

Made it to the office around 10, and took care of some clerical work, then began to “cut-into” the MLA-izing of the manuscript. Of course, thwarted immediately by not having all of the information necessary to complete citations for an esoteric 1996 Robert Kendall posting to ht_lit and somehow overlooked the title of a Michael Noll essay in a 1973 anthology put out by Praeger (even though I had spent 10 days fact-checking the manuscript before leaving the states). AH – the drawbacks of working 9,000 miles away from our solar-powered studio/library in Frelinghuysen! No complaints, though, and hopefully Kendall and NJIT reference librarian Davida Scharf are going to be able to come to my rescue…. In any case, I’ll be quite busy the next couple of weeks getting the book into final form. The amount of data that I’m managing is crazy: the bibliography is 17 pages, and nearly 30 pages of footnotes in addition to 370 manuscript pages.

Still trying to track down Jasia R., Carl Fernbach-Flarsheim, and Carol Sperrin McCauley.

Interesting meeting in the afternoon with MMU faculty of creative multimedia (Khong CW, Sau Bin, and Tengku Sabri) over tea and carrot juice. We mapped out my lecture schedule, which will consist of 2 lectures per month from February to May on the history of Digital Poetry. I’ll also collaborate with various faculty to present a multimedia performance and installation in July. These are events I much look forward to producing. I’ll have a chance to begin to get to know my colleague's work better soon, as every professor has to do a portfolio presentation during an all day session next thursday.

Extracurricularly speaking, I played with some rhymes today, and had some fun looking at a few pictures on Ben Friedlander’s Flickr site (taking in his series of photos of Bay Area poets in the ‘80s: the young Andy Schelling, everyone in oversized circular glasses, Stephen Rodefer’s outrageous duds, Ben looking like a young Allen Ginsberg; see http://www.flickr.com/photos/mongibeddu/). Forgot to mention yesterday that I’d had some fun reviewing Adele Aldridge’s WWW-based NOT POEMS (a continuation of the concretesque graphical works she was doing in the ‘70s, see http://www.adeleart.com/NOTPOEMS/notpoems.html)

Too many emails to mention, and Khong joined us at the apartment for dinner and found a way to gently inform me that the students would not take me seriously if I continued to wear shorts around campus.

That’s it for now. Paz e felicidade, friends, CF

Comments:
Chris,

I didn't note it in my response to you, but I don't think you needed to ask my permission for what you were quoting--but, hey, you always considered that the case.

I can't believe Adele Aldridge is on the web. Some of those pieces are almost exactly the "Notpoems" of her 1970s book.

Geof
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?