Thursday, January 05, 2006

 
1/5

Too busy on campus to write something up, so now doing so sitting with on the couch in our apartment, on a table that is lower than knee-high, possibly the worst place I could possibly be typing. But I digress…

Today finished identifying all of the quotes in the Prehistoric book, and there are a lot of them. Fortunately, for me, most of them I think will fall into the “fair use” category, although I will write to publishers and authors whose work(s) I quote extensively, just to be sure.

After a three hour break spent absorbing some of the MMU Interface Design student’s “minor” presentations (which involved creating an interactive kiosk for one of the many shopping malls around KL), I began to collect email addresses for the artists/publications whose images I will need permissions for in the book. I thought I could get this taken care of today, but the task proved more difficult than I had imagined. For instance, the first two images from the book come from the 1968 Cybernetic Serendipity exhibit held in London, and I spent close to an hour trying to track down the email address of the curator/editor of the catalog, Jasia Reichardt, since the publisher (Studio International) is long out of business as far as I can tell. No luck! (If anyone out there reading this happens to know how to contact JR, I’m all ears). What to do? I sent Lev Manovich – who republished an essay by JR a couple of years ago - an email is search of the info. Then I though to try and contact the artists whose work interested me directly (Margaret Masterman and Robin McKinnon-Wood), but from what I can tell they have passed away. I know Marc Adrian is still alive, and I should be able to contact him but the hour was getting late & I was due home, so had to put off the chore until next week. Dan Waterman had warned me that this part of the process was going to be time consuming, and I can tell he is right!

Fortunately, many of the other poets whose works will visually appear are people I have been in touch with during the past year, and finding them shouldn’t be too hard. For those of you who are curious, here is the lineup of folks who have illustrations in the book: Masterman/Wood, Cage, And, Valentine/Rogers, Adrian, Flarsheim, Mezei, Alrdrige, Schwartz/Knowlton, Daniels, De Souza, Monach, Padín, Andrews, Polkinhorn, Melo e Castro, Pestana, Bootz, Sondheim, Balpe, Kendall, Rosenberg, Györi, Dutey, Cayley, Huth, Larsen, Karpinska, Baldwin, Beiguelman, Mencia, Kearns, Donald, Vallias, Kac, Kostelanetz. If you’re on that list, or I’ve quoted you a lot, you will be hearing from me soon…

Posted some more pictures taken around campus on flickr today, and also launched our travelpod blog (which is private – if you’d like to read it, send me an email & I’ll send the password. We start traveling around the country tomorrow – heading to Pulau Pangkor first – so that blog will begin to grow as well (as will, hopefully my collection of a/v documents).

Emails with/from: Waterman, Andrews, Grenville, Huth (thanks for the plug, Geof), Antonio, Agra.

Vamos, so that’s it til Monday, CF

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?