Monday, January 30, 2006

 
The eve of completion and most everything is falling into place. I just rec’d permission to use Lillian Schwartz and Ken Knowlton’s excellent computer rendering of a 1970s Laurens Schwartz poem, and Sandy Baldwin did a couple of hours ago send a very interesting preface for the book, which I’m about to send over to the editor for his opinion.

Today worked just a couple of hours and finished all but the concluding section and footnotes of ch. 5. Everything has been re-read and is in good shape. I have a couple more footnotes to add tomorrow about contemporary work (PennSound, K. Silem Mohammad, Wilton Azevedo), and then I will electronically ship the files over to Tuscaloosa on time. The only things missing are a couple of permissions for use of images. One is for Cage’s work (Harvard U Press has not yet responded to my fax) and the other is for Carl Fernbach-Flarsheim’s Boolean Image/Conceptual Typewriter piece, which was part of the 1970 SOFTWARE exhibit at the Jewish Museum. It’s a great image, and important to the study, so hopefully I’ll figure out a way to get it in.

Someone pointed me in the direction of a discussion that has been transpiring on the POETICS listserv (Buffalo, archives available via EPC) regarding electronic/digital writing, so I went and looked at the exchanges. Basically B.K. Stefans is teaching a course on e-writing at Brown and was fishing for references to fresh texts to show students. This opened up a small can of worms regarding the definition of digital writing etc., and I was wishing that my book was out – as it would give the various parties involved something more to go on. Hopefully it will be useful to such discussions in the future…

I also noticed that Lori Emerson has proposed an MLA session on Digital Poetry. I’ll be interested to see if this makes the cut. If it were a regular session, I’d think about sending in a proposal, but since inclusion of special sessions on the conference program is iffy, and sending in a proposal is like gambling anyway, and time here is precious, and, and, and, well, I won’t take the chance.

Chinese New Year is happening, otherwise, and very quiet around these parts the past few days, and will be until Wednesday. We have been laying low; took (and posted) a bunch of pictures over the weekend, and shot a bit of video of a Lion Dance this afternoon. I’ve been thinking about picture and text blogging quite a bit, and though not posting here (as usual) on the weekend, read a few and trying to get to know my way around the tech a little better. Thanks to G. Huth, who is coaching me a bit, I have a counter and traffic monitor, which will be informative to watch.

Then what will I do? A grand list is forming: make plans for collaboration and production of works on campus, prepare a few lectures for students, renovate my home page, re-lauch the “Moby-Dick” database poem, create texts for digital performance and experimentation, &ccccccc. So Stay Tuned!

CF

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?