Wednesday, March 01, 2006

 
This morning’s lecture went very smoothly, and was especially gratifying because apparently the students had not previously been introduced to the materials I showed to them. The resources and script of the presentation is posted at http://web.njit.edu/~funkhous/mmu/3. Most of my colleagues from the Interface Design group, and Musstanser from VR attended, and it was re-assuring to get positive feedback and gratitude from them. Afterwards, I met with Rozi, Khong, and Hazleeza in the E-Gallery, where the “What is Digital Poetry?” presentation will happen next Friday; we mapped out the floor and projection plan. It will be my most complex and high profile gig – at least until July’s performance – and everyone wants to make it as strong as possible. Including me! So best to get the tech scheme laid out in advance. I’ll be editing the lecture and scripting over the next few days. The powers that be asked me to compose an abstract/press release that will be circulated to everyone at the university, and this is what emerged:

“What is Digital Poetry?”

For almost half a century poets have had a thriving relationship with computer technology. During that time, a new genre—digital poetry—has emerged. Comprised of several different approaches to producing texts, this artform continues to materialize in the 21st century. The development, range, and construction of digital poetry are the subject of this presentation, which will introduce the work of poets who have welcomed technological challenges. As poets utilize new media, the purposes of computing are extended by the production of creatively oriented documents in which particular attention is devoted to verbal content and its aesthetic attributes. The utility of computers has enabled the realization of multiple types of compounded expression (combinations of verbal, visual, animated, and interactive elements). By building a larger public awareness of the mechanical history of digital poetry, this research aspires to influence the formation of writing with media and electronic literary society in the future. For those interested in the interplay of poetry and technology, this presentation will reveal how we came to where we are, and what the future may hold.

For those of you who are in the region and would like to attend, you’re invited! The event will happen at MMU’s E-Gallery, 10:30 a.m. March 10.

With the exception of a few brief conversations with some of my FCM associates, that was it for today. Since it’s first of the month, I spent the afternoon paying bills (which means going to the bank and various offices between here and Kuala Lumpur; since I don’t have a checking account all transactions involve cash). I took a few pictures here & there, with more of a mind on composition.

Tomorrow morning we’re heading to Thailand for 5 days, a country none of us has ever been to. It’ll be just an hour flight to the island of Phuket, where my mother’s brother has been living for quite a few years now. I’m not afraid to admit that I’m quite exhausted from all of the work in January and February, and it should be great to have a stretch of days without having to do much but enjoy time with family, check out a new place, and snorkel a bit. I did pack the mini-DV camera, minidisk, notebook, and other gear, so presumably some art will be made. Apparently we’ll be able to get online, and if anything significant happens, I’ll send a post. If not, back with updates next week.

Comments:
Hi Sir,

I am a student in the Faculty of Creative Multimedia and I attended one of your talks the other day and it was really informative. I found this site that I thought was pretty interesting as it used games to acoomodate literature (not exactly poetry but more like books and maybe some plays) but yea, it was really eye opening and inspiring. Here's the link. Hope you'd like it.
http://www.calarts.edu/%7Ebookchin/intruder/
 
candicenec: thanks for the link. I've never met Natalie Bookchin, although my wife knows her. I liked this piece a lot - and will probably show it in the lecture I'm giving tomorrow morning (10:30, e-theatre)
 
Hi Sir,
Glad to know that you liked it :)
Wish I understood spanish, then I'd be able to comprehend the origins of the created piece. Way interesting that your wife knows her :D Nonetheless, my sincere wishes to your time here.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?