Monday, May 08, 2006

 
All of the recordings that Eric & I did, and the performance at Bed Supperclub, are now up as mp3s at http://web.njit.edu/~funkhous/sound/curkendall.html. Give ‘em a listen if you have a few minutes and let me know what you think. I’m hoping they’ll be added to my PennSound page before long.

Back at work today, and plenty to do. Besides preparing and posting the files, I managed to get through editing and correcting about half of the lectures so I should be able to get the pdf made tomorrow. In order to make it a little more interesting and useful, I’ll make hypertext links in the pdf, which will add a little time but should make it a more effective tool in the long run. The eBook project is approaching completion at last, Khong sent over the ISBN number today, so now a few loose ends to take care of, and testing, then it will be ready to be produced. I’ve enjoyed the process of putting it together, and it will be a good artifact, but I won’t miss having it looming as a slight distraction! As soon as the lecture pdf is done, and I meet with John Hii, the graphic designer, later in the week I’ll be able to focus on the two things I’ll be spending the rest of my time here on: the multimedia database project and the MMU installation/performance (in which I’ll surely be using some of the soundtracks we prepared in Bangkok plus whatever else I can invent in the meantime).

Tomorrow I have an appointment in the MMU audio lab, which I look forward to. I’m mainly interested in seeing what software they have, and what I may be able to do with the gear here. I’ll bring the rin gong and flute, maybe some texts, and see what I can come up with.

I also spent some time catching up on emails and looking at a few blogs today, having a good time reading about the recent Flarf festival in New York, where it seems a lot of people doing similar things to what I presented at the Bangkok festival were gathered. I’ve heard of “Flarf” before, but through the limetree blog (link at left) was able to “read-up” on it through Jordan Davis’ Village Voice article and various other texts. It seems like using randomized computer poetry and programs would qualify as “Flarf,” and I started making poems with Spam messages in February 2004—so it seems I would belong to this gang (& since many of the participants are friends of mine, I guess that makes sense). Looks like a good time was had by all, & perhaps I’ll be able to join in the fun next time…

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?