Wednesday, May 31, 2006

 
One byproduct of being off-the-road and working on campus is an aching back—I’ve been sitting at my desk the past three days and now I can barely sit without immense pain. But the positives of production do outweigh the physical aggravation, and the environment is prime and conducive to creativity, so, lah, can’t really complain too much… 'specially since I'm going to avoid the desk for the next couple of days...

At this point all of the files are prepared, and just one more minor change needs to be made to the eBook interface. I made another last minute change today, swapping out a piece on which I am barely present (recorded with my pals in Brazil) for one of the polyvocal pieces we recorded the other day. Apparently the graphics files checked out at the manufacturer, so tomorrow I’ll do some final tests at some Internet cafes in KL and deliver everything on Friday. While in the city I’ll also be making some field recordings and, as I mentioned before, check out some gear that I’d like to acquire for my creative arsenal.

I was supposed to meet with the java tutor on Friday, but that has been put off for a couple of weeks, as he is busy with another project. If this were the eve of July rather than June I’d be nervous, but I have faith that everything will fall into place. Meanwhile, the contents are just becoming more and more refined.

I spent a good bit of time in correspondence and virtual housekeeping mode today in between the this’ and that’s of media programming and planning the upcoming performance. Most significantly, I had a couple of lengthy emails form (or with) Jorge Luiz Antonio; apparently things are happening with the translation of my book that is being published in São Paulo, which I’m glad to know. The other enjoyable distraction I’ve been enjoying this week is writing to people I’ve been out-of-touch with for 15-20 years. My 20th college reunion from UVa is happening this weekend, so I’ve been reflecting on those days (without a lot of nostalgia, I hasten to add, but with some curiosity), and decided to write to a few of my old comrades who I have been out of touch with. One thing that’s for certain is that Lazlo Toth (i.e., Don Novello) was right: you write letters, you get them back. It has been fun to discover the events of their lives prosaically. I’d probably’ve gone to the reunion if we were in the States, but all in all this just as good a way to reconvene with these folks—and the internet makes it pretty easy (although contact information for at least half of the people I wanted to write to is nowhere to be found).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?