Thursday, June 01, 2006

 
one of the many MMU atriums

This morning we decided to spend three days in Kuala Lumpur next week, beginning on Wednesday (when Kok Siew Wai and I are performing at the Man + God opening http://galleriiizu.com/), so I figured everything I was going to do in the city today can be done then. In the windfall of time that opened up I had an unexpected productive day on campus (without sitting too much).

After John and I made the small change on the media files interface, I checked and re-checked the eBook on two Windows computers, and was also able to find a Mac to test it on. Mechanically everything is in perfect shape (as far as I can tell). I found a few spelling errors and fixed the ones I could (i.e., of all things “Multimedia University” got misspelled on the interface, which I can’t change, so have yet another fix to make with John before getting the thing to the manufacturer). It’ll be a relief to get this off the stove and onto 1,000 shelves, finally.

I began to develop further charting the course I’ll be taking in the performance later this month, and pretty quickly was able to fill up an hour’s time with new poems, all of which have soundtracks, and half of which already have animations of one sort or another. These I’ll present in the first set, and the second set will contain all of the topical/geographical Malaysian pieces, simple animations for which I will gradually assemble over the next three weeks.

The new creative work made today involved completing a photo-documentary I’ve been thinking about for a long time that involved capturing images of five floors of office doors in the building where I’ve been working since January. It was a trickier project than I expected because the reflection and glare caused by the afternoon sun through the clear plastic roof made it very difficult to see details of the doors on one side of the building. Thus, I have to go back and capture images of the rest of them tomorrow morning. I brought our tripod up and intended to use it in order to make a uniform series, but this was impossible because the hallways are of different widths and other factors made it difficult to be so professional. I took more than 100 pictures and am pleased with how they turned out, even if they are not perfect. The building houses Faculty from both Creative Multimedia and School of Management, so a wide range of decorations are apparent (which inspired the idea in the first place). I want to work these images into the performance somehow, as a way of transporting on part of the building (offices around an atrium) into another close by atrium where I’ll be doing the gig; this shouldn’t be too difficult to set up...


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?