Wednesday, July 05, 2006

 
First order of the day was an early meeting with Dean Rafi, with whom I had a good conversation for well over an hour, showing him the database, discussing my future as a consultant at MMU, and talking about a wide range of topics related to Malaysian culture. He encouraged me to go see a new exhibition about ghosts that is on display in Shah Alam (sounds good! we will probably will go). Afterwards I polished up my lecture, which I proofed and slightly revised in transit between Putrajaya and KL in the afternoon and evening—next week’s sessions should be the best iterations of the presentation yet.

In the early afternoon made my way by train to Melawati, the home of Manggis Productions, the media production company operated by my friends Fauzee (Nasir) and Fishie (Nazura Rahime). The purpose of the visit was to print out the Malaysia poems in large format for gallery display. After we figured out what process to use (copy .doc files into Adobe Illustrator), Fauzee’s assistant Fami and I spent about four hours getting the documents formatted and printed. It was an interesting process, and the results were fantastic. Manggis has a 1440 dpi color printer that can make A1 prints, so we were able to make printouts that were nearly four feet long; since they’re going to be on a wall, I figured best to enlarge the font to 18 points. Great (and unusual) to see poems printed out so big! All of the texts got printed, although we did not have enough time to laminate them (saving that part for next week). Fifteen images are also getting printed at A3 size. I’ll finish up the work and collect everything at the end of next week and head over to the gallery to put them up before the opening on the 15th. I was thinking of trying to put all of the texts and images up on the wall, fitting them together like a big (8’x 8’) puzzle but I don’t know if it is going to work out that way. We’ll see what happens.

Tomorrow my last day on campus for awhile, need to clean the desks up and get some things organized; also meeting with one of the students I will potentially be advising and my middle eastern friends who want to work on a movie with me. Should be a much more easy going day…

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?