Wednesday, July 19, 2006

 
The opening last night was full of social engagement and intrigue—the hours we were there passed by very quickly. I saw a lot of the art before but not all; seeing everything up and ready for the public was a thrill, and I’m proud to be to have my work included in such an impressive and weird show (will post pictures on Flickr soon). The odd nature of the art (a lot of conceptual installations and a few paintings) seemed appropriate for my first exhibition, and it was perfect to be sharing a room with Amy’s works (& Stella asked/made us put one of her drawings up too!). I’d guess that two or three hundred people walked through the place—which wasn’t really on any sort of beaten path. Anyway, it was quite a scene and fun to hang out with the other artists, although Sau Bin was under the weather with food poisoning (which he was blaming on a durian). We also met some interesting locals, who I wish we’d crossed paths with months ago, and got to hang out with other friends we have made here. Anyway, it was the first art opening I’ve ever been to where not a trace of alcohol was present, and a live turtle (a star tortoise, I think) with a toothpick holding a sign affixed with putty onto its back was delivered for well-wishes to the group (instead of flowers). At least 2 of KL’s daily newspapers were there (one English language, one Chinese), interviewing people, taking photos, etc. I can’t imagine what a review of the event would say…

Beforehand went to a reception to celebrate MACEE’s new offices, probably my last official event as a Fulbright scholar this time around. What a great gig it has been! I met a few new people, took care of some business, had a snack, and met a woman from Rhode Island who has come here to study elephants.

We spent the night in KL and came back in the afternoon and began cleaning out my office of stuff I won’t need in the next few days that needs to get home somehow. I’d planned to do some teaching stuff but all of the NJIT systems were down. Tomorrow I’ll get ready for Saturday night’s performance and review student works.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?